What if I don’t want to report an incident but need some support?

We provide support to people who have experienced hate incidents or crimes because of hostility based on their race, religion and / or disability. Caseworkers will:

  • provide a language/sign interpreter, if you need one
  • listen to your needs and take your concerns seriously
  • undertake an initial risk assessment within one working day
  • offer you a single point of contact
  • arrange to meet you at your home, if you wish
  •  develop an action plan to resolve the complaint
  • with your agreement, work with other agencies on the agreed actions to:
    -  solve your complaint
    -  take actions against the person/s who is causing the incidents, where possible.
  • support you throughout the process and if you need to go to court
  • ask for your feedback to improve our service
  • aim for an outcome that is  both realistic and agreeable to you