Sexual Harassment

When someone calls you insulting sexual names, talks about you in a sexual way that makes you feel uncomfortable (like commenting on your body), or spreads sexual rumours about you, this is known as sexual harassment. This could happen in person, over the phone, or online.

If someone intentionally grabs or touches you in a sexual way that you do not like, or you’re forced to kiss someone or do something else sexual against your will, this is classed as sexual assault. This includes sexual touching of any part of someone’s body, and it makes no difference whether you are clothed or not.

When sexual harassment is perpetrated by a stranger in a public place, it is often called ‘Street Harassment’. This can be very threatening and scary and many women report experiencing some form of street harassment. Street Harassment is the focus of an international campaign called Hollaback.


The Police

You can report sexual harassment in the following ways:

Specialist Services

If you’ve been affected by domestic or sexual abuse or violence contact The Portal to find out more about the help, advice and support available. The Portal is a partnership of leading Sussex Domestic and Sexual Abuse Charities including Survivors’ Network, which also offers a range of other services in Brighton & Hove.  To contact The Portal, call Freephone 0300 323 9985 or email

Mankind offers support to men who have been sexual abused. Call 01273 911680.

The Saturn Centre, the Sussex Sexual Assault Referral Centre, offers free support and practical help to anyone in Sussex who has experienced sexual abuse. If you would like to speak to someone the Saturn Centre is available 24/7 on 0800 033 7797.

Both Victim Support and Citizen’s Advice Bureau offer support around sexual harassment.


Find out about the support available for you and your family and how to get the help you need. Contact the Early Help on 01273 292632

If are a member of the public and are concerned about a child's welfare, please contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 01273 290400


Report abuse or neglect of an adult online or by calling Access Point, the contact centre for Adult Social Care services, on 01273 295555.


Victim Support

0845 30 30 900

The national charity giving free and confidential help to victims of crime, witnesses, their family, friends and anyone else affected across England and Wales.

Citizens Advice

The Citizens Advice service helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice.