What can I do if someone else has a problem with drugs or alcohol?

If a family member or friend has a problem with drugs or alcohol, there is a local service which provides support and advice and which is working to reduce the stigma felt by family and friends of substance misusers. You can call the PATCHED helpline free on 0800 085 4450 (10am-10pm every day, with an out-of-hours message service). They offer a range of services, such as one-to-one counselling, support groups and training which they can give you more details about on the phone. If you act as a carer to a substance misuser, they could also help ensure you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to, such as the Carer’s Allowance or even respite.

Related subjects: